Tuesday, October 9, 2007

BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP- YUM!


Okay, one of these days I will actually put on a recipe that is from me but since I have zero culinary skills I have to use others. So today the credit goes to my lovely sister-in-law, Leslie Hurst. Most people related to Leslie already have this recipe but if you don't you've definetly heard me talk about it since it is one of my favorite soups to make. My sister Kristi requested the recipe so here it is. It is a perfect marriage of autumn and bliss. It is DIVINE! Thanks Leslie!


1-2 lrg butternut squash(depending on how flavorful you like it)

1 c. chopped onion

2 bay leaves- still good without

2 tsp. brown sugar

1 tsp.ground cinnamon

1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg

4 cups chicken broth

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

2 cups milk or cream


cut squash in half, remove seeds, cover in plastic wrap and microwave for about 8 minutes, or until tender. scrape out squash and set aside. in lg saucepan, cook butter, onions, bayleaves, sugar over med heat about 10 min. add spices, broth, s/p and squash. simmer about 15 min. puree in blender or with hand blender until creamy then add milk, simmer about 5 more minutes. do NOT bring to a boil or it will curdle.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

OH YES! This is my all time favorite soup! There is nothing like it on a cool fall day. If you all haven't tried it yet, don't be afraid. It is heaven sent.

suzan said...

I keep looking over this. I haven't tried it yet. but I am going to have to someday soon. It looks and sounds wonderful!!!

Dacia said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe and the soup. It is really yummy!